Hi, this is your friend Nurul Islam, the founder of the site “Technab.” I am a computer hardware engineer. After graduation, I joined a renowned...Read more
We know it can be bothersome when you try to log into Windows 7 but forget your password. The situation can become terrible at the time of an emergency.
Your entire work can be halted if you are unable to log in to Windows 7. Thankfully, there are several ways to recover Windows 7 passwords, including using a password recovery disk, the command prompt, an installation disk, or other tools.
An in-depth explanation of all the procedures to recover a Windows 7 password is described in this article. So, we expect your utmost attention till the end. As a result, you can determine the method that suits you best in the end.
- How To Recover Windows 7 Password? [4 Easy Methods]
- Things To Know Before You Recover Windows 7 Password
- So, Have You Recovered Your Windows 7 Password Yet?
How To Recover Windows 7 Password? [4 Easy Methods]
Among so many ways of recovering Windows 7 passwords, we have created a list of the best 4. No matter which method you choose to reset or recover Windows 7 password, it won’t fail you. Let’s take a look at the methods –
- Utilize A Password Recovery Disk To Recover Windows 7 Password
- Recover Windows 7 Password Using An Installation Disk
- Recover Windows 7 Password Through Command Prompt
- Use PCUnlocker To Recover Windows 7 Password
Method 1: Use A Password Recovery Disk To Recover Windows 7 Password
In case you don’t know, a password recovery disk is something that is used to reset Windows passwords. It resets your password by accessing your local computer account. With a password recovery disk, you can change Windows 7 password thousands of times.
Using a password recovery disk is a great way to recover Windows 7 passwords. The only drawback is that you have to create a password recovery disk or USB first.
Suppose, you have already created a password recovery disk. Then, you can follow the steps below –
- Restart or turn on Windows 7.
- Select the account for which you want to recover the Windows 7 password and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- When you type the wrong password, Windows will show an incorrect password message. Click the Reset password link under the password field.
- It will open the Password Reset Wizard. Click Next to proceed further.
- Select the password reset disk/USB from the drop-down and click Next.
- Type the new password in the first box. Then, confirm it in the second box.
- After that, password hint in the third box and click Next.
- Once everything is done, click on Finish.
Method 2: Recover Windows 7 Password Using An Installation Disk
This method requires a Windows 7 installation disk. This method is also only appropriate for experienced users who are familiar with the features of Sticky Keys. If you claim yourself as an advanced user, then resetting your password with this method will be a matter of time.
1. To recover Windows 7 password in this manner, just follow the below steps –
2. Restart your computer and boot it from the installation disk while it’s inserted.
3. Select the “Repair your computer” option on the keyboard/language setup screen.
4. Windows 7 recovery options will be displayed in a list. Select the “comand promt”.
When the Command Prompt appears, type the commands below and click Enter once for each line.
ren sethc.exe sethc.exe.bak;
copy cmd.exe sethc.exe;
5. While the system reboots, close all Windows that are open. You should also take out the installation disk to avoid starting from it.
6. Press Shift key five times on the login screen to display a unique CMD window.
7. Type “net user user_name new_password” in the special CMD to reset your Windows 7 password.
8. Finally, close the command prompt and sign in with your new password.
Method 3: Recover Windows 7 Password Through Command Prompt
Without any software or password reset disk/USB, your Windows 7 password can be recovered. This method requires you to log in with an administrator account whose password you locked Win 7 has not forgotten. If you can’t remember the password for the administrator account, skip to other methods discussed in this article.
Anyways, follow these steps to go through this process –
- Select the Start/Windows icon, then go to –
All Programs >> Accessories
- There you will find the CMD (Command Prompt). Right-click on it and select Run as administrator, just like in the following picture –
- Once the CMD opens in administrator mode, type “net user” and hit the Enter button.
- A list of all user accounts will appear. Type (net user username new_password) and hit Enter. This will reset the Windows 7 password.
- Replace username with your preferred account name
- Replace new_password with your preferred password
Once everything is done, you will be able to log into Windows 7 with the new password.
Method 4: Use PCUnlocker To Recover Windows 7 Password
Among various Windows password recovery software, we chose PCUnlocker. We found it very reliable when you can’t use either a Windows install disk or a password reset disk/USB. You can easily regain your lost admin password with this tool.
It will also come in handy for getting back accounts that are disabled or locked down.
Take a look at the steps below for this method –
- Use a separate computer and download the software called PCUnlocker. It will be saved as a compressed (zip) file.
- After extracting the zip file, you will get an ISO file like (pcunlocker.iso). Using an image burner tool, burn the file either to a USB or a CD.
- .You must put a bootable USB or CD into your computer to unlock Windows 7 after obtaining one.
Please Note –
You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS to boot Windows from the USD or optical drive first.
- Once your computer boots up, the PCUnlocker wizard will appear. You must decide which account you want to reset the password for.
- Select the account and click on the Reset Password button.
- This will reset the Windows 7 password within a couple of minutes.
- After disconnecting the CD or USB from your computer, restart it. It will allow you to log into Windows without any password. It also suggests making a password reset disk in case you lose your password in the future.
Also Read: Recover Windows 10 Product Key
Things To Know Before You Recover Windows 7 Password
Before you reset or recover your Windows 7 password, you should determine if your computer is running on a workgroup or a domain. If you are using a computer at your home, then it is certainly running on a workgroup. Otherwise, it is running on a domain if you are using a computer for an organization.
Recover Windows 7 password when your computer is on a domain
Follow the steps accordingly for recovering your password when your computer is on a domain –
- Log in with your domain account provided by the organization. This account should have administrator permission. If you are not sure, then ask your organization’s IT department for help.
- Select the Windows/Start icon at the bottom left corner.
- Go to – Control Panel >> User Accounts.
- After that, select Manage User Accounts.
- A pop-up will appear asking for an administrator password or authentication.
- Provide the password or confirm authentication.
- On the Users tab, select the account under Users for this computer for which you want to reset the password.
- Enter a new password and confirm it.
- Once everything is done, click on OK.
The administrator has the power to add, delete, or change passwords for all accounts. So, if you are the administrator, you can change the Windows 7 password for any account under your organization.
Recover Windows 7 Passwords When Your Computer Is In A Workgroup
You can recover Windows 7 passwords by following any of the above 4 methods when your computer is in a workgroup.
As a recap, we have shown the following steps –
- If you are attempting to log into Windows 7 with the wrong password and can’t remember the right password, Windows will show a password incorrect message. Ignore it by clicking OK.
- Create a password reset disk or USB (recommended) in advance. Insert the disk or USB after clicking the Reset password option.
- Follow the steps that come in the Password Reset wizard.
- Hopefully, you will be successful in resetting your password and recovering it. Then, try to log into Windows 7 with the new password. If you forget your password in the future, you can apply the same procedure again to recover it.
So, Have You Recovered Your Windows 7 Password Yet?
Forgetting something that you used to remember is not pleasant. The same goes for passwords. Forgetting Windows 7 password will interrupt your work, whether it is your personal or someone else’s.
Remember, storing your passwords somewhere safe and where only you can access them is always wise. People who have a lot of stuff in their minds tend to store passwords in notes. Passwords are not something that you can easily remember. In fact, they are a lot easier to forget.
We have brought up the 4 effective methods to recover Windows 7 passwords. Let us know by leaving a comment on which method you liked the most.