Donald Magee is a data recovery expert. He has been in this field for more than a decade. There is simply nothing he doesn’t know...Read more
Password-protecting compressed files with WinRAR is a smart way to ensure the security and confidentiality of important data. However, it’s very common for people to lose their passwords and end up in a situation where they need to recover WinRAR Password. But is that even possible?
Fortunately, yes. You can use a third-party password recovery software, crack the password using online tools, or use your computer’s command prompt to recover the forgotten password and open the compressed file without much trouble.
Let’s put some light on these three effortless ways to recover your WinRAR password and help you get going with your workspace productivity.
- How to Recover Your WinRAR Passwords?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Recover Your WinRAR Passwords?
Recovering your forgotten password for a WinRAR compressed file can be done in several ways. You can choose any of the three methods below that suit your situation.
Method 1: Use Third-Party Password Recovery Software
The first and probably the easiest method to get your lost password back is by using third-party password recovery software. This type of software uses brute force or dictionary attacks to crack the password and let you open the WinRAR file.
One of the most popular password recovery tools out there is PassFab for RAR. This software can help you effortlessly recover your lost or forgotten password for RAR/WinRAR files within minutes, regardless of the complexity of the password.
Here are the steps to recover your WinRAR password using PassFab for RAR:
- Download PassFab for RAR on your computer from this link and install it on your computer.
- Now run the software and click the add button. It will bring up a window to prompt you to choose the compressed file that you want to recover the password for.
- Locate your desired RAR file from this window and import it to the software.
- Now click “Start” at the bottom of the software’s interface. The program will start working on recovering your password instantly.
- Upon completing the password check, you can see the password and the option to copy it. And that’s it, you’ve recovered your WinRAR password.
Method 2: Use an Online Tool to Recover Your WinRAR Password
If you don’t want to go into the hassle of downloading and installing any third-party software, you can use an online tool to get the job done. Although not always as effective as using a dedicated password recovery software, an online tool can get the job done in some cases.
lostmypass.com is one of the most popular online password recovery tools that can help you recover your WinRAR password. Like the PassFab for RAR software, it uses brute force and dictionary attacks to recover the password.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Visit LostMyPass.com from your computer. On the homepage, you’ll see a drag-drop zone where you can upload your RAR file.
- Drag your password-protected file into that drag-drop zone or click the button “or click here” and locate the file to upload it.
- Now, wait for the tool to crack the password.
- Once completed, you’ll be displayed a dialogue box revealing your RAR password.
You should be aware that it is not safe to use this method if you want to maintain your file’s confidentiality. This is because websites are often criticized for stealing personal information and using it for their own ends.
Method 3: Use Command Prompt to Recover Your WinRAR Password
Many people would argue that the command prompt is only meant for experts and not everyone can use it. But that’s not true. The command prompt can be used by anyone, even if they’re not tech-savvy.
If you want to use the command prompt to recover your WinRAR password without any technical knowledge, then follow these steps:
- Open notepad from your computer.
- Copy the entire text code from this link and paste it into your notepad file.
- Now save the text file as “RARrecover.bat”.
Or if you don’t want to go into all the hassle, just download the file from here.
- Now, double-click the bat file, and a command prompt will open.
- Then type the file name and hit enter.
- Now right-click the RAR file and get its detailed location and then enter the file path in the command prompt window and hit enter again.
Once you hit Enter, the bat file will carry out the commands to find the RAR file’s password. You would probably receive the RAR file password instantly or a short while later. However, you might not receive it at all since it only deals with numbers.
See Also: How Do I Recover Nomedia Files?
Frequently Asked Questions
Below, we have compiled a list of some frequently asked questions about recovering your WinRAR password.
Can you recover the WinRAR password from your iPhone?
Yes, it is possible to recover your WinRAR password from your iPhone with the iMyPhone app. After installing the app on your device, launch it and find the Passper option to recover any kind of zip password, including WinRAR.
How to crack a WinRAR password if I forgot it?
There are many ways to crack a WinRAR password if you forget it. You can use any of the methods we have mentioned in this article.
Is the WinRAR password encrypted?
Yes, the WinRAR password is encrypted. WinRAR uses AES-256 encryption which is believed to be a very secure form of encryption.
How long does it take to recover a WinRAR password?
It depends on various factors such as the length and complexity of the password. If the password is short and simple, it can be recovered within a few minutes. However, if the password is long and complex, it might take hours or even days to recover it.
There you have it. These are some of the best methods to recover WinRAR password if you forget it. We hope that one of these methods works for you.
As you can see, the methods we mentioned are simple enough that anyone can use them. Additionally, if you have zero experience with WinRAR, you should know that it’s easy to mess up your compressed file while setting up or changing the password.
So be careful while using them and remember to always make a backup of your work before attempting anything new.