Donald Magee is a data recovery expert. He has been in this field for more than a decade. There is simply nothing he doesn’t know...Read more
Windows Recovery Environment is also known as WinRE which is installed by default in Windows Operating System. It is actually a fundamental version of Windows that comes with a lot of recovery tools that are designed to fix Windows OS problems.
In addition Windows Recovery Environment can fix typical causes of unbootable OS, and it can be modified with extra drivers, languages, and Windows PE Optional Components.
It is preloaded into the Windows 10 & 11 [Desktop Editions[ and Windows installation and server 2016, and later.
However, In this write-up, we have demonstrated what’s new with Windows Recovery Environment for Windows, what tools have been included, Entry points into the Recovery Environment, security considerations & many more.
- What is Windows Recovery Environment?
- What’s New Have Been Included With WinRE For Windows?
- Tools That Have Included To Windows Recovery Environment
- How To Access WinRE Features
- The Functions of Advanced Startup Menu
- The Security Considerations When Working With WinRE
- What Needs To Customize WinRE?
- What Are the Differences Between the Windows 10 and Windows 11 WinRE?
- Final Thought
What is Windows Recovery Environment?
Before going to the broad discussion, we would like to discuss what Windows Recovery Environment or WinRE is.
WinRE is a basic version of Windows that comes with multiple recovery tools that can be used to fix some problems related to your operating system.
It can be run both manually, or automatically. Usually, it runs automatically when any of the following things happen.
- If There Is a BitLocker Error, or a Secure Boot
- If Your Pc Collapses to Boot Twice Without a Break
- If Your System Reboots After Booting Up, or Shuts Down In a Line
The Windows Recovery Environment is completely customizable in which you can include extra languages, device drivers, or diagnostic tools with API [Application Programming Interface], or DISM [Deployment Image Servicing & Management.]
What’s New Have Been Included With WinRE For Windows?
Now, you will be up to running most tools with Windows Recovery Environment without going for administrator account, and inputting the password. When booted into the WinRE, encrypted files will not be attainable till the user owns the key to decrypt the volume.
The behavior of Advanced Startup has been changed. You have to follow the directory now. Settings> Update & Security> Advanced Startup> Restart Now. Easy of Access features then work in the WinRE.
For instance, in previous versions, it wouldn’t be enabled on restart until the narrator feature was enabled earlier than running Advanced Startup. But, now, Advanced Startup boots straight to the WinRE where a user will be up to turn on Ease of Access through a Keyboard Shortcut.
Tools That Have Included To Windows Recovery Environment
This is the segment we have shown what tools have been included in the Windows Recovery Environment. Let’s check them out below.
|Reset This Pc||If You Confront Issue In Your Windows OS Which Is Not Resolvable With Conventional Troubleshooting Methods, You Can For “Reset This PC” To Get Rid Of The Problem.|
|Startup Repair||This Option Is Under The “Advanced Options” Menu That Can Be Used To Fix Booting Issue On Your Windows.|
|Startup Settings||It Is Designed To Resolve The Startup Issues, But It Functions By Shifting The Default Startup Settings.|
|Command Prompt||This Tool Can Be Used To Run Windows Built-In Troubleshooting Utilities Like SFC, DISM, CHKDSK, And Many More.|
|Uninstall Updates||The Installing Update Tool Will Enable You To Uninstall The Systems For Which You Encounter Issue On Your Operating System.|
|System Image Recovery||You Can Use This Useful Tool To Restore Your Windows Installation From A Disk Image File.|
How To Access WinRE Features
Users will be able to access Windows Recovery Environment through the “Advanced Startup” menu which can be run from Windows in a number of different ways.
- Step-1: Go to the Login Screen first.
- Step-2: Click on the “Shutdown” option.
- Step-3: Press & hold the “Shift” key when selecting “Restart.”
- Step-1: Go to the “Settings” option first.
- Step-2: Now, choose the “Update & Security” option.
- Step-3: Select the “Recovery.”
- Step-4: Go for the “Advanced Startup” & then select “Restart Now.”
Apart from that, you can use the hardware recovery button configured by the OEM to get into the WinRE.
The Functions of Advanced Startup Menu
It is one of the significant menus that enable users to accomplish the actions below. Let’s see what these are.
- Diagnostic Tools, Start Recovery, and Troubleshooting.
- You’ll be able to access the Firmware Menu. [UEFi Only]
- Boot from a device. [UEFI Only]
- Select which OS to boot, if a number of OS are installed on Pc.
The Security Considerations When Working With WinRE
You have to be aware of some security conditions when working with Windows Recovery Environment. These include
- You will be able to launch the maximum tools with WinRE without choosing an administrator account, and inserting password. When launched into the WinRE, encrypted files will not be accediable till the user owns the key to decrypt the volume.
- Networking is disabled in Windows Recovery Environment by default. You’ll be up to turn it on when you need it. To get better security, it is better to keep networking disabled.
What Needs To Customize WinRE?
We have already mentioned that it is possible to customize WinRE by including packages like PE, additional components, languages, diagnostic tools, or drivers. The Windows Recovery Environment includes these PE components.
What Are the Differences Between the Windows 10 and Windows 11 WinRE?
This is one of the most typical questions that we usually get from Windows 11 & 11 users. Well, let us explain the differentiation between the Windows 10 & Windows 11 Recovery Environment.
Windows 100 comes with a number of upgrades, and many more programs, and features. Microsoft has changed the Windows Recovery Environment to work better as well.
Besides that, Windows 11 enables you to access the Recovery Environment without having an administrator account. The encrypted file won’t be able to be accessed until you enter the key to unlock the volume. Moreover, you can use the Ease of Access Features on Windows 11 through the Recovery environment.
So, this was all about Windows Recovery Environment. We have demonstrated almost everything related to WinRE.
It is an important function of the latest Windows version that enables users to resolve problems that are not fixable by applying typical methods.
Some significant tools have been included with the WinRE that can be used to fix system errors as well.
Whatever, we have tried our best to explain everything related to the Recovery Environment. Even then, if you have more to know, drop your comments below.